3 minutes... 1 minute... 3 minutes... 1 minute...

Thursday, April 22, 2010 | by Jason | Labels: |

As I mentioned yesterday, a big component of my effort to get healthy has been a regular running routine. Well, running may be a bit of an exaggeration. I have found that I have had good success with what our good friend Corinne has dubbed "wogging". Wogging, as you may have guessed, is a combination or running/walking/jogging.

I have been able to consistently improving my speed and increasing my distance over time by pushing myself to do longer and longer intervals of running/jogging and try to minimize the amount of time I spend walking.

Until tonight... While helping Sam look for an iPhone app made for the Couch to 5k program she has started, I came across the Run/Walk method by Jeff Galloway (more info can be found here and here.)

I decided to give it a try by forcing myself to take a one minute walk break for every three minutes of running. I felt myself pushing harder (and running faster) during my runs knowing that I was only a couple of minutes away from getting to rest. The result... my fastest mile yet and the quickest I have completed 5 miles to date (10:23 per mile = 5.8mph)!

I am going to try this method again on Sunday when I shoot for 10 miles (my first double digit run, EEK!) I'll let you know how it goes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment